TournamentSR logo

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/27/2018 8:02 pm  #1

Tournament gaffs: awarded placers & bracket count

In a tournament set-up, I erroneously made two specifications.  The first was that I specified that 4 places were to be awarded when it should have been 6 places.  This mistake was not caught until the consolation semifinals.  I did not see any other work-around other than to manually write the 5th/6th place bout sheets and add the associated points to the team totals.  Was there any kind of work-around that I could have implemented?
The second mistake was that I miscounted one of the brackets.  All of the brackets had 16 or less wrestlers except for the 147 lb bracket, which had 17 wrestlers.  The tournament was started and then the mistake was seen when the brackets were printed and the 147 lb bracket was a 32-man.  We wanted to have a pigtail for the 147 bracket, so the pigtail bout sheet was manually written and the loser was dropped from the bracket.  However, the bracket stayed as a 32-man and consequently the cross-bracketing was different from a 16-man bracket.  Also, we were concerned that 2nd round winners would be awarded advancement team points for a 1st round bye, which would not have occurred with a 16-man (plus pigtail) bracket.  Was there anything that I could have done (after the tournament had started) that would have given a 16-man bracket for the 147 lb weight class?

1/28/2018 11:13 am  #2

Re: Tournament gaffs: awarded placers & bracket count

In regard to discovering a bracket with the wrong placing positions.  A lot depends on how you configured match numbers.  If you used "numbers only - best for mat side scoreboards", there is no workaround.  If you used "letters and numbers - best for emergency bracket repair", the workaround is to use the "View"/"Emergency bracket repair..." menu.  Once you choose the bracket that needs changing and click [Repair this bracket], the [Resize/Set initial round] button can be used.  See section 4.11 of the Reference Manual for details on Emergency bracket repair.

In regard to the 147 lb bracket that became 32-wrestler.  It sounds like you caught the issue shortly after wrestling started. If that's the case, you could have loaded the tournament's ".AtStart" file which is the tournament's state when [Start the Tournament] was clicked.  Using that file you could change the bracket, save it using a new name, and hit [Start the Tournament].  You would then have to re-enter match results that had already taken place.  See section 2.3.4 for information on loading the ".AtStart" file.

In regard to your comment "Also, we were concerned that 2nd round winners would be awarded advancement team points for a 1st round bye, which would not have occurred with a 16-man (plus pigtail) bracket."  Since the first round byes occurred where there were no contested matches, no points for them will be awarded.  If you had continued to use the 32 wrestler bracket, I believe the only problem would be some slight differences in later round cross-bracketing.

Board footera