TournamentSR logo

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/08/2013 5:35 pm  #1

Pool Format

Does TournamentSR support a pool format?  Specifically, 4 pools of 4 wrestled as a round robin, then the winner in each pool wrestle a championship semi round and final round for 1st through 4th place, and the 2nd place in each pool wrestle for 5th throught 8th place.

Also looking to see if I can do 2 pools of 5, and a round robin of 6 for 6 or fewer in a weight class.

Thanks,
Jeff

12/09/2013 3:34 pm  #2

Re: Pool Format

TournamentSR doesn't directly support winners of a Round-Robin bracket being placed into a placing bracket.  On the other hand, you can use two tournament files to achieve the desired effect.

1) Create a tournament file with the Round-Robin brackets.  Make sure it has all of the weight classes you'll be using (e.g. two Round-Robin brackets for 113 would be something like 113-A and 113-B.
2) Create another tournament based on the file created in 1).  Change the bracket types if needed.
3) When the all matches from the Round-Robin brackets have completed, export the placers ("File", "Export placers in plain text").
4) Import the placers created in 3) to the tournament file created in 2).  You will need to manually rearrange wrestlers 113-A and 113-B to ensure the match ups you desire (or you could edit the placers file created in 3 using a text editor to put the desired wrestlers under the correct target weight class).
5) If you want to carry over the team scores from the Round-Robin tournament file, print the team scores at step 3 ("Print", "Team scores") and then manually enter each team's base score into the "Team list" window's "Initial score:" field.
6) Run the tournament created in 4) and 5).

Steps 4) and 5) can be accomplished within 30 minutes, so it is possible to do this in one day.

12/10/2013 7:15 am  #3

Thanks Alex.  Will give this a shot today.

Jeff

12/17/2015 6:51 am  #4

I am looking to use the software for a 16 team tournament where we run pools into brackets.  Is it possible to run a 8 man round robin?

12/18/2015 7:44 am  #5

Ken,
We don't currently support round robin for more than 6 wrestlers.  This was chosen due to the NFHS limit of 5 matches per day.
It seems to me that you have two requests: one for 8 wrestler round robin, and another for running a pool tournament.  If I am correct, please post these requests in the "Suggest Enhancements" section of our forum.
Thank you very much.
- Alex

6/27/2017 2:17 pm  #6

TournamentSR v7.0.0 (released today) fully supports the original request (4 Round Robin pools of 4 wrestlers each feeding two ladders of 4 wrestlers each to determine 1st through 8th).  The program supports many other combinations as well.  See section 7.1 of the TournamentSR Reference Manual for details.

11/10/2018 8:12 pm  #7

Alex,

I' m finally going to run a pool tournament, and look forward to using tournament SR as I do will all of my other tournaments.  I am trying to re-create the results from last year's tournament.  I have manually created the brackets, the pool finals brackets, entered all of the results up to the finals.  The pool finals brackets did not get populated.  Is this something I have to do myself? Or maybe if the brackets are created manually, it's not possible for the program to populate the finals brackets?  Would love to know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,
Jeff

p.s.  I was the one that suggested the pool bracket format back in 2013

11/12/2018 5:56 am  #8

Jeff,
In order to analyze your issue, I'd need a copy of the TournamentSR data file you created.  Please email the *.xml file to tournamentsr@smartrunsys.com.

When you manually create pools, you must follow the bracket naming convention explained in section 4.13.2 of the Reference Manual ("Manually creating pool and Pool finals brackets").  If the naming convention is followed, TournamentSR will automatically advance pool placers to the appropriate positions in the Pool finals brackets.  If the bracket names don't follow that convention, TournamentSR won't automatically populate the Pool finals brackets.

11/28/2018 7:01 pm  #9

I'm ready to run my first pool tournament with Tournament SR this weekend.  In thinking about worst case scenarios, after you make the pools, is it possible to do an emergency  bracket repair.  Thanks .

11/28/2018 7:15 pm  #10

Emergency bracket repair can be used to adjust the pools after the tournament has started. As noted in several places, it’s best to use letters and numbers for match numbers.

Board footera