TournamentSR logo

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/31/2017 10:24 am  #1

Is there a way to do tournaments without brackets?

Good afternoon. I'm a coach for our city's youth wrestling program and I've been looking for something to replace the tournament software that we've been using. I'm thoroughly impressed with what I've found here, and I would love to present this as the alternative, but I'm not sure if this software can do what I need it to. 

For the past decade, we've been using a program called MatchMan (files.leagueathletics.com/Images/Club/11011/Matchman/Matchman-Manual.pdf). It gets the job done, but it's more than 10 years old, it's clunky, it's not as user friendly as it could be, and there haven't been any updates or improvements that incorporate modern technology (like the WiFi feature here). 

Most of our league's tournaments don't have actual brackets. MatchMan creates bouts by examining the rosters and pairing up kids who are the same age, weight, and skill level (or at least within pre-defined +/- ranges). For example, some kids will end up with 2 or 3 matches, but others may only have 1, and some kids end up with zero matches because the age/weight/skill restrictions don't allow any other matchups. So, we don't have any 1st, 2nd, 3rd place finishers, etc. because there are no real brackets. 

I skimmed through the TournamentSR documentation hoping to find something that will work for this tournament style, but I didn't see any settings or options that could account for how our league does things. I'm hoping that I missed something and this program can actually be a solid replacement for MatchMan. 

So, is there a way to create this style of tournament? Can the program create tournament bouts by pairing up wrestlers based on skill level and a weight range, rather than a rigid weight class bracket? If it can, then I'll bring it to the next league meeting.

Thank you!  

1/31/2017 8:22 pm  #2

Re: Is there a way to do tournaments without brackets?

While TournamentSR always uses brackets, it can automatically create the Round-Robin brackets based on the three criteria you mentioned: age, weight, and skill level.  The program takes a master list of wrestlers expected to be in the tournament and divides them into groups based on skill level ("Classification") and age ("Division").  You then interact with a few settings to further divide each group into one or more brackets containing wrestlers of similar weights.

Most often, the source of the wrestlers is what we term a "preregistration file" - a spreadsheet containing one row for each wrestler that is expected to be in the tournament.  For an example of this, try downloading the free demonstration version of TournamentSR and working through Tutorial 3 (available on our help page).  Note the Tutorial uses "Boys", "Girls", "M/F", and "Men" as the Classifications.

Board footera